Monday 7 June 2010

Week 6: Glee Club and Other Things To Do

Wednesday was pretty awesome. My boyfriend took control of my day and told me to meet him at the train station because he'd planned a few things. Good times indeed! The first part of the day was spent in Lickey Hills which is the forest in Barnt Green, about 15/20 minutes away from the university campus (£2.20 return with a railcard). It's a bit of a trek for people who don't like walking but for people who do it's an absolute goldmine. Add in a bit of adventure by going off track a bit (but sticking to a track nonetheless) and you've got a winner. We spent a long time just rambling around and exploring the forest. Definitely my style. Then when we were waiting for the train we messed around with the ticket machine and changed it to French. Fun times.

The next stop was Joe's Bar for a rest and a drink. And chips. Joe's really do awesome chips.

Then I was advised to go back to TC and dress up a little bit. Not too much but with some effort. I put a smart-ish dress on and met him where he wanted me to go. He still kept the mystery location a secret, though I had been guessing the whole day (and I didn't manage it!). We turned up at the Arcadian (took the bus so he didn't have to reveal the location by telling a taxi driver) and it was still a secret. Then he revealed in the best way ever: "Turn around." When I turned around I saw posters for Jon Richardson's UK Tour. One of the tour dates was Wednesday night at the Glee Club. Yes thanks! Jon Richardson is my favourite lesser known comedian, if not my favourite overall. Apparently this had been planned for a while so don't go thinking you can emulate this spontaneously. Just be good at keeping secrets.

Glee Club is a small comedy club with a massive reputation. If you've played at Glee, you're on your way to massive success. The set was absolutely hilarious, as expected, and the audience were on par. Afterwards, we waited near the stage door and I got to meet the man himself along with Fordie, his friend and frequent radio guest (J R used to present a weekly show on 6 Music). That was a very good night.

On Thursday we went to see the cricket at Edgbaston. That's something you need to do if you're going to be a University of Birmingham student. We found a voucher in Redbrick, the university newspaper, that granted £5 entry (as opposed to £25) so we happily used that and went to see Warwickshire Beats v Northampton Steelbacks. Needless to say Warwickshire (who we were backing, naturally) won comfortably, amongst chants of "We love you, Maddy, we do!" by a bunch of Tennis Courts boys who had obviously taken advantage of the deal, also, and made a day of it. Good times! Beautiful weather, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment