Monday 21 June 2010

Week 8: Birthday Week at Home and Check Lists

Considering I went home this week because my birthday was on Saturday 19th, this post won't necessarily apply to a lot of you. In any case, it was an awesome week and the weekend was even better. My Mum bought me an afternoon at a spa including a head, back and shoulders massage which was amazing. I could definitely get used to regular massages. I went out for dinner on my birthday, with my boyfriend and family, which was lovely. I do recommend beef in black bean sauce! Before my birthday, I went shopping for a dress for the evening. I found a beautiful one in Matalan for £22 which impressed the family at dinner. I did get quite angry at H&M, Topshop and New Look for not having anything I liked in my size. Birmingham's far better for shopping than Doncaster, for sure.

Something that may apply is this: car boot sales! On Sunday I managed to go to a car boot sale at the Keepmoat Stadium (Doncaster Rovers FC, for anyone who wants to know) where I spotted a few things that would be a welcome addition to my new kitchen in my second year house. I'm quite fickle, though, so I didn't indulge in a few bargains. And I was informed that a second hand one (a few people were selling new products) would be half the price. I may ask my Mum to pick me up a blender or something, though, when she goes again. The car boot sales here are hard to get to if you don't have a car because there aren't any within walking distance of halls or the centre. There are a few charity shops in Harborne, which is near, but I haven't visited them yet. The reason why I mentioned car boot sales and charity shops is because as a student you'll be leaving home for (probably) the first time. That means you'll need to stock up the kitchen, bathroom and your own room with equipment. On Facebook freshers groups there are check lists so if you're going to Uni in September they are definitely worth a look in. And don't forget spare change for laundry. I might well post an extra farewell for this year next week and include a check list for anyone who wants to know.

A running theme of my blog posts seem to be the state of the kitchen in my flat. One thing I urge all freshers to do is get an understanding with your flatmates early on about cleanliness. If you're living in halls, there are inspections to look forward to. On The Vale they come once a term (that's three times in the year you'll be living there). If you fail, you might get a second chance to tidy up and a re-inspection will be scheduled for a few days after. If you pass, you're going to make it far easier to live there. Fail twice and the manager gets involved and fines may be issued for a clean up and general lack of respect for the accommodation. I'm having issues with my flat being in a state at the moment because with exams being over (and results are now available) a few of my flatmates have decided not to pay attention to their flat anymore. Thankfully my concerns were heard by the Vale reception and I've been exempt from any charges or tellings off. I do still have to tidy up the flat before I move out because I'm the last one left. I've still got a week and a half left, or thereabouts.

So, next week I'll put up a check list and that'll be it for my blogging this year. Let's hope my boss wants me to do this for second year, I quite enjoyed it!

No comments:

Post a Comment