Sunday 29 November 2009

Week 9: Theatre Crafts Allocation and Christmas

This week's post, I'm afraid, will be completely drama orientated. Reason being I have been absolutely immersed in the world of theatre as part of costume crew for Vinegar Tom. I must admit, it isn't one of the easiest things in the world to cope with. The technical rehearsal(s) is(are) horrible for the costume crew because we have to sit backstage for literally hours whilst the cast and crew work together in getting the lighting and sound cues right. I'm absolutely not kidding when I say 'hours', too, because one of my calls for the two tech days was about nine hours long. Late nights, too. I think that day ended at about 10.15pm. On Saturday at about 6pm my mood turned fowl absolutely because I was exhausted. Of course I did all my jobs with some enthusiasm but my mind was cast to my bed. It is amazing how something like that can make the feel of bed sheets absolutely heavenly. Actually being in that semi-awake, semi-asleep state before dropping off is something I daydreamed (no pun intended) about. That said, it did give me an insight into the world of student theatre. Once the performances began, the staff stepped back and the whole show was being run by students: third years performed, second years ran tech and costume crew and first years worked the box office, curtains, costume changes and other small jobs. My recurring job was to make Lydia's feet and hands look dirty by using green, black and red stage make up. The colour we ended up with changed every night. I wish I had pictures of the costume and such but I didn't take any. I did make detailed notes about each costume, though, because I have to write an essay on the process.

I'm struggling for things to write about this week because the above situation has absolutely taken over my whole week from morning to late evening every day. There is one thing: Christmas. When I came back from the first performance night, most of my flatmates were in the kitchen discussing the goings on before Christmas and what we would do together. I was just in time for the decision making which made me feel much happier even after such a long day. It was decided that we would choose the Secret Santa (everyone's name is written on separate slips of paper and folded up, everyone then choose a piece of paper and has to buy a present for that person unless they get themselves in which case the names are shuffled and chosen again) that night and would exchange gifts on Monday 7th December either before or after Christmas Dinner, which will be a flat effort with everyone making something. We're also going, together, to the German Christmas Market on Tuesday 8th December. I already went with my boyfriend on the day of the Millenium Point chaos so it'll be a bonus for me. We'll sip mulled wine and ride the merry-go-round. Good times.

I went to Birmingham today to find a present for my secret santa recipient yesterday as it was my first day off all week (oh yes, Saturday was taken too by matinee and evening performances, 1.30pm til 9.15pm call). I'd love to say it was so easy to find a present but with a limit of £5 it is very difficult to get something worthwhile and within the in-jokes and interest of the recipient. I know exactly the type of thing I'd like to buy but I spent over three hours trailing around the Bullring and Pallisades only to buy my lunch for today, to browse Selfridges for Christmas cards, to induldge in the smell of Vera Wang for men and buy my boyfriend his first of many small Christmas presents. I did find a few things that would be pretty good to buy my recipient but they were over budget so I had to look elsewhere. I'll try again on Thursday, which is the day I don't have anything written on my timetable and which I should really use for reading. Oh the joys of being a fresher.

The Bullring: Debenhams
The Bullring: Debenhams.

Selfridges and a Christmas tree at night
Birmingham centre at night: Selfridges and a Christmas tree.

No comments:

Post a Comment