Friday 20 November 2009

Week 8: Quiz, Bowling, Money, Christmas and Gatecrasher

I can't believe I've gone through eight posts without mentioning the legend that is the pub quiz! I go to the quiz every Sunday at Rios in the hub at the Vale. The epic awesomeness that is Mike does the hosting most weeks, helped out by a taller-than-the-average-bear friend whose name I haven't overheard yet. Occasionally someone else chips in with a round or two. The prizes vary but usually they're a crate or something. There's also a bottle of sparkling wine for the third from bottom, every week. See, if they gave a prize to bottom or second from bottom then that would be easily cheated and people wouldn't take it seriously. Perhaps I take it too seriously. The team names are always interesting. Quizzie Rascal are a team who haven't changed their name since the first week. My past team names have included JLS Crowd Surfers (response to the drama at Millennium Point); Goth Detectives Part 2 (a Hallowe'en choice - if you know the reference, you win at life); The Good, The Bad and We Left Nathan At Home and various other names that are perhaps inappropriate for a blog that's meant to be within good taste. If you want to know, leave me a comment. They're really not that special, though, so I doubt it's worth the effort. The vale quiz consists of six rounds: Round 1, general knowledge; Round 2, topical (has been Sport, Geography and Music alternating); Round 3, picture round variable; Round 4, interchangeable (usually music/film); Round 5, double points (usually mimicking the intros round from Buzzcocks, sometimes film quotes, sometimes lyrics); Round 6, knockout (each question is True/False, you can answer them all or answer only a few but they must be in order and if you get one wrong you lose the string but if they're all right you get all the points). My team, which now consists of me and my boyfriend, has scored a high of 41 and a low of 26 (out of 60). The low was last week and we managed to get the third from bottom prize of sparkling wine.

I noticed that I haven't really written about the entertainment in Birmingham. Well, on Tuesday evening Flat 135 had a bowling night to get back together as a unit. We'd been missing each other because of the amount of work we each have to do at staggered times so we spent about a week or two reminding each other to make sure there's an evening free for all of us when we can do something together. Not being familiar with the entertainment, we just thought to go bowling and had a sheet of vouchers, provided by Katy's friend, for Lakeside Superbowl. Winner! The offer on the vouchers were misleading, though, so I really advise either phoning to check or expecting the worst. Ours said 'One Free Game per person per lane'. To me, that means one free game for everyone in one lane. To them, it means only one person gets a free game. The 'venue' wasn't too bad. It was pretty easy to get a strike or at least half-strike (or whatever it's called). We did book a lane beforehand which is most definitely advised because almost all lanes were in use when we arrived (about 8.30pm). I was told that the bowling alley in Five Ways has a student night on Tuesdays when you can pay £6 each for unlimited bowling, provided you have proof of being a student (usually NUS, sometimes they accept the University provided card). In retrospect, we should've gone there. Apparently it's closer to the Vale and it is far better value for money. We paid about £5.30 each for Lakeside Superbowl, for one game. I'll have to look into the Five Ways student night, perhaps for next week.

Apparently either Friday or Thursday was the official beginning of consumer Christmas because it was exactly five weeks away. From what I remember, that's where the countdown starts in the film Love Actually so it is officially the arrival of Christmas (though there is debate between the 5 week mark and the moment you see the Coca-Cola advert). I went to Birmingham to do some shopping in the Bull Ring (to get a hockey stick, purse, pub golf outfit and photos developed, if you're interested) and it was pretty busy. The queues for the escalators are always absolutely epic. Selfridges was getting rather busy, too, and that's usually comfortable. I am planning on doing my Christmas shopping between the 11th and 15th of December because that's when I'll actually have my Christmas budget, so I'll be able to report back about that before I take a break for Christmas and New Year (that's right, you're getting an extra week!). For anyone who has experienced Christmas shopping in Meadowhall, Sheffield, imagine a shopping centre far bigger than Meadowhall and multiply the number of people by about four. I'll confirm that estimation in whichever week that falls in. Technically week 12.

I feel like I should include details about CostCutter in here at some point. It is, after all, the most convenient place to buy the essentials (and more) if you live on the Vale. There's also Aldi, which is about 25-30 minutes walk from my flat and Sainsbury's which is 35 minutes walk. There's also a Tesco Express which is just 20 minutes walk in the same direction and a large Tesco in Five Ways which I've yet to go to. CostCutter, though, is topic here. For the weekly shop, the most popular option is to get together with a few people and order online from one of the major supermarkets because the more items you buy, the cheaper (sometimes free) the delivery. The convenience of getting it shipped to your door is good, also. There's something absolutely lovely about doing a big shop but then the carrying back isn't pleasant at all. It's surprising how uncomfortable a mildly heavy bag is to carry. I definitely recommend getting reusable, wider handled bags. It doesn't sound like a major issue but remember that living at Uni means you have to actually buy things yourself and can't depend on parents or guardians to do the weekly shop. On Wednesday I had a mini money and food crisis (that's what you get for allowing your desktop pc to get overheated and temporarily break, causing you to buy a laptop and reduce your budget from £80 to £30 a week) so I had to transfer over £50 from savings and do a logical shop at CostCutter. I spent just under £12 and got four chicken breasts, beef mince, cereal, curry, cheese, plums and I'm sure there was something else in there. Good value! I might, if I get some time, have a look round CostCutter and note down a basic price list for random stuff, just to give an idea.

As an aside, there is a fund open to people who come across hardship and desperately need some cash. There are conditions and I think it has to be repaid (though don't quote me on that). In any case, there's no need to worry about money when coming to University because there are ways to control cash flow and be efficient. Budgeting is encouraged and there are people who can help with students who are not sure where to start with money and financial issues.

Another thing I experience as new this week was Supersonic Vague at Gatecrasher. Birmingham's Gatecrasher, I'm told, is the biggest in the country. It really is worth a visit on a night even to experience it. Tickets for Supersonic Vague, which is the indie night every Friday with guest DJs like Razorlight and Reverend and the Makers, are available online for £3 plus £1.05 booking. The charge is to a debit or credit card and the ticket is sent to your phone. The ticket itself shows the logo, number of people to be admitted and has a black and white barcode-like image that is scanned on the door. It reduces queuing time majorly and makes for a smoother transaction. Inside Gatecrasher there are several themed rooms. The main room is where the guest DJs do their sets. I've heard stories about how busy it can get (so much so that you can't move, sometimes) but when I went I didn't have a bad experience at all. It was busy enough to create a good atmosphere but not too busy to feel claustrophobic. I only stayed in the main room, though, so when I go again I'll report back on the different rooms. The music wasn't too bad, either, with tunes from The Prodigy, Reverend and the Makers, Florence and the Machine, Calvin Harris and The Wombats to name but a few. That isn't restricted, however, because the other rooms keep their theme. For example, I think there's a room that plays cheesy pop and one that plays dub-step and doesn't change just because its Supersonic Vague in the main room. I may be wrong, though. More information is available on the Gatecrasher website.

My boyfriend and I at Supersonic Vague, Gatecrasher
My boyfriend and I at Supersonic Vague, Gatecrasher.

L-R Katy, Luke, Flo. At Supersonic Vague, Gatecrasher
L-R Katy, Luke and Flo at Supersonic Vague, Gatecrasher.

Christmas in Birmingham
Christmas in Birmingham.

No comments:

Post a Comment